Monday, February 28, 2011

Me as a writer


Writing. This is something that I have actually always wanted to do with my life. Even as a child I wanted to be a writer, but I also understood that writing did not pay the bills. So when I was asked what do I want to when I grew up, I would say something like teacher or doctor or news anchor, think that I use those to get money to write with. Now I am nearing 25 and finally done with school for a while. I have a teaching license, and am hunting for a job in this market. And on top of that my steady job at a book store (the ultimate place for a young writer) will soon be gone as the store closes. So what am I to do now?
I have had to put my writing on the back burner while I was getting my teaching license. I did start a new novel during NaNoWriMo, and talked about it with my students, but it did not get very far, and I obviously did not win this year. But now that I am done with school, and really have nothing to do but look for a job, it has come back to me, my love for all things dealing in words.
That novel from last November has been opened again, the file dredged up from the depths of my hard drive, and I am back. Somewhat. I once heard George RR Martin talk about writing this way. That there are two types, Architects who outline everything and live off blueprints and know each step right up to the end. And there are Gardeners, who plant idea seeds, water them with blood, sweat, and tears, and hope that something eventually grows. I am the later. And so as I resurrect this file with my little plot of ideas, I find I am having to give it more blood and sweat to find the seedlings of ideas again. But, with time and a few re-readings of my own work, I am thundering along.
My fiancé keeps telling me I need to write, he has so much faith in my and my love of it, that he is there telling me every day to get at this computer and work. It may seem harsh, but gardening, I mean writing, is hard work, and I do not feel like I want to grapple with my characters that day. But if I am going to keep going, then I have to meet the challenge head on daily
I have heard all throughout my time writing from teachers at my university, to tips in “Writer's Digest” to carve out a time to write for at least an hour daily. This was easy when I was working at the book store, not a lot on my head after work then, but now I am not sure. I still want to teach. I love books, words, and writing, so what better way after being a novelist is there to share this but to teach? But as it is already half way through the last semester of the year, it will be a bit before I can get a real job teaching or substitute teaching. In the mean time I am applying everywhere and looking into writing jobs. Wish me luck dear reader, in getting a job that will allow me to keep the creative juices flowing.



Steampunk project A
.

No comments:

Post a Comment